The following Rules and Regulations shall govern for the entire duration of the Tournament and shall strictly adhere at all times by all Teams/Players in all aspects:
A. Registration Fee
Entry fee shall be as determined and specified by FTL-Q in each and every Tournament to be conducted.
B. Tournament Format
Format shall be followed as per the scheme setforth by FTL-Q in each and every Tournament to be conducted. You may go through the “Tournament Format” Menu for the sample format.
C. Grouping, Duration and Venue
- Submitted Team entries will be divided into two (2) groups (Group I & Group II) which Team grouping shall be drawn. However, the Team “Champion” and “Runner-Up” of the preceding Tournament shall be automatically positioned in Group I and Group II respectively. Whereas the position for the “Second Runner-Up” shall be in Group II and “Third Runner-Up” shall be in Group I. Grouping position for all other participating Teams shall be determined via a draw.
- Games for the elimination round, Quarter-Finals (QF), Semi-Finals (SF) and Finals (F) shall be played as specified in the Tournament Format.
- The duration of the Tournament shall be as officially declared by FTL-Q. Games will be played every Friday. In some few cases, games are required to be re-scheduled at some other day (other than Fridays) due to unforeseen events beyond FTL-Q’s control affecting the normal schedule. Under such circumstances, Teams/Players are required to adhere and make themselves available with the revised schedule.
- All matches shall be played at Khalifa International Tennis & Squash Complex and at other Venues as designated by the Committee. Schedule of Matches will be disseminated to all participating Teams through the Team Captains and the same shall be posted in FTL-Q website. It is the responsibility of all players to ensure that they are updated with the latest Schedule of Matches through their respective Team Captains.
D. General Court Rules
- All players are required to play as scheduled and shall be at the assigned Court at least 30 minutes prior to their scheduled match. No re-scheduling is allowed unless otherwise presented with legitimate justification and agreed by the Committee as well as the opposing pairs.
- Warm up is limited to 5 minutes. Team Captains (TC) or Asst. Team Captains (A/TC) is responsible in ensuring that warm-up period is strictly adhered and game proper followed immediately thereafter. TC shall monitor closely with the match timings and ensure players complete their matches within the allotted time or earlier in order to avoid .
- Defaulting time shall be applied 15 minutes (including 5-minute warm-up) after scheduled time of the match. However, in case and the preceding match completed prior to the scheduled time then defaulting time shall be reckoned 15 minutes from the time the preceding match completed immediately thereafter. Competing Pair who failed to show up within 15 minutes of their scheduled match, the opposing Team will be awarded with 2 points and another 2 points every 5 minutes delay thereafter. Competing Pair who failed to show up within 30-minute of their scheduled match will automatically be declared as “default” and final score will be 8-0 in favor of the opposing Team.
- Score shall be announced by the Players at each serve.
- Foot fault shall be enforced. The receiver or partner may call “foot fault” to the serving opponent if it is clearly obvious or perceptible from his side (in a non-officiated match).
- Ball can only be called as “out” after it has landed and not prior.
- Disputes arising from opposing Pair’s disagreements over “line calls” or ball inadvertently travelled or rolled onto court from adjacent court while the ball is in play, etc., shall automatically be replayed with 2-balls with the current server.
- In the case of service disputes between the two opposing Team’s disagreements, service shall be replayed in the following manner:
- 2-balls on first serve dispute
- 1-ball on second serve dispute
- Any arguments from both competing Pairs shall be addressed and settled in the following order:
- between the competing Pairs
- between the Team Captains (or A/TC in the absence of TC)
- Committee decision
Both TC’s shall immediately brought to the attention of the Committee for resolution any disputes that arises between the competing Pairs and cannot be settled or resolved through 9(a) and 9(b).
- Player or Players can make a call on any ball hit towards his side of the net, i.e., “fault” or “out” as it is clearly visible. However, in case of disputes, Clauses D.7, 8 and 9 shall govern.
- Competing Pairs shall change ends after the first, third and every alternate game thereafter till the match is completed. Also in case of tie-breaker, competing pairs shall change ends when score reaches six (6) points total (e.g., 6-0, 5-1, 4-2, 3-3) or at 6-6.
- Medical and injury time-out shall only be limited to 5 minutes and will only be allowed once. Depending upon the severity, time-out may be extended up to maximum 15 minutes subject to the approval of the Committee.
- All Players shall adhere to the Tennis Code of Ethics and shall refrain from demonstrating such act of misconducts as follows:
- Racquet abuse
- Creating noise while serving and while the ball is on play
- All other form of misbehaviors
- All Players shall refrain from raising heated arguments against other Players whether with opposing Team, individual Player, other participating Players in the Tournament or any person or persons from the spectators. All complaints or observations shall be addressed or directed to the Committee through the TC’s.
- In situations where provisions are not specified and covered in the Tournament Rules and Regulations to address any uncertainties, disagreements and disparities arises during the Tournament, the International Tennis Federation (ITF) Rules shall be referred and used.
- The Committee reserves the right to amend the Schedule of Matches including Rules & Regulations deemed appropriate and necessary and will published accordingly to all Teams of such amendments.
- The Committee also reserves the right to re-classify a Player or Players found to be categorized lower than his actual playing skills at any given time and point of competition.
- The decision of the Committee is final and executory.
F. Tournament Match Pairing
The standard pairings (doubles) to be applied for the Tournament shall constitute of the following Pairs which shall be fielded and played by each respective Teams for the entire duration of the Tournament:
A+A, A-B, V-B, B-B, B-B, C-C, C-C, C-C, L-L (Total 9 Pairs/Matches)
However, pairings may alter depending upon the requirements, opportunities and conditions prevailing at the time the Tournament is to be launched.
E. Team Pairing
- Pairing shall be at the discretion of the TC and shall be in line with the specified pairings of the Tournament by FTL-Q.
- The TC shall declare the names of Players/Pairs prior to the start of the official match and exchange the lineup with the opposing Team. Failure to declare fully the names or list of the Players/Pairs in the lineup during exchanges of lineups will automatically result in the Pair losing that particular match unless otherwise agreed by the opposing Team that such unfilled name or names of Players are to be played by Player or Players of lower category and subject to the approval of the Committee.
- The names of Players/Pairs are considered final once the exchange of lineups has been made and shall play accordingly on that particular match and timing. However, in cases where Player or Players did not show up at the scheduled match for some unforeseen reasons, the opposing Team has the full right to choose a substitute Player of the lower category subject to the approval of the Committee. The opposing Team have the option to choose from the “reserves” (lower category) or those who have already completed a match but has not yet been selected as “replacement Player” in any of the given match of that particular day.
- Where it has been identified by the TC and that he is fully aware that a Player or Players is engaged with another appointment and could not play beforehand, the TC is allowed to fill-up and list the name of Player or Players of the lower category of his choice prior to the exchange of lineups. However, a Player can only be fielded once in a given Team match.
- Replacement shall be in accordance with the condition as provided in Clause F.4 below.
G. Replacement of Players
- Replacement of Players shall only be allowed in the following cases:
- If a player becomes ill or injured and unable to play for the rest of the Tournament. However, the Committee reserves the right to demand such player or the Team (through the Team Captain) to present or submit Medical Certificate.
- If a player goes on Emergency Leave
- If a player has been assigned to another Country
- If a player is expelled/suspended by the Committee due to misconduct, ill-behavior, or violation of any of the Tournament Rules & Regulations
- Replacement Player or Players shall be of the same category as that of the substituted Player or Players or lower. Request for replacement of Player or Players shall be made in writing along with the justification at least 2 days prior to the scheduled match. Request shall be send via e-mail to:
- Failure to advise the Committee in writing within the specified time frame for replacement of Player or Players shall automatically fulfill the relevant provisions as described in Section E.
- In the case of “Section E” for replacement of Players, the following guidelines shall be applied (lower Category replacement):
Class A+ : Replacement shall be from Class A
Class A : Replacement shall be from Class B
Class B : Replacement shall be from Class C
Class C : Replacement shall be from Class C
Ladies (L) : Replacement shall be from L only
- The Committee, at its sole discretion, reserves the right to accept or reject any replacements or declare such match as “default” on a case-to-case basis.
H. Scoring System
The following “Scoring” system shall apply:
- During the “Elimination” round, scoring will be 1 to 8 sudden-death (at 40-all). No tie-break shall be applied and the first to reach 8 will be proclaimed “winner” of the match. Players shall notify to their respective Team Captains final score and ensure that same is registered.
- For the Quarter-Finals (QF), scoring will be 1 to 8 sudden-death (at 40-all). Tie-break (race to 7) shall apply at 7-all and the first to reach 7 will be proclaimed “winner” of the match. Players shall notify to their respective Team Captains final score and ensure that same is registered.
- Scoring for “Semi-Finals” shall be 1 to 8 with first “deuce” and second deuce will be “sudden-death”, Tie-break (race to 7) shall apply at 7-all and the first to reach 7 will be proclaimed “winner” of the match. Players shall notify the Committee of the final score and ensure that same is registered.
- Scoring for “Finals” shall be 1 to 8 with first “deuce” and second deuce will be “sudden death”. Regular “tie-break” shall apply at 7-all and the first to win 7 points (score have to win by margin of 2 points, i.e., 7-5) will be proclaimed “winner” of the match. However, in case tie-break score reaches 6-6, play must continue and the first to secure a 2-point advantage (e,g., 8-6, 9-7, 10-8…) will be proclaimed “winner” of the match. Players shall notify the Committee of the final score and ensure that same is registered.
- “Receiver’s choice” shall apply at sudden-death situation.
- Team or Teams who garnered the most number of wins (overall) against their opponent (e.g., 5-4, 6-3, 7-2…) is declared “winner” of the match for that particular day and will be awarded with 2 points.
- Scoring may alter and will be announced prior to the Tournament proper.
I. Team Standing
- Team standing is determined according to the total number of points accumulated at the end of each completed match during then elimination round.
- In case of tie in the overall standing based on the total number of points as described in Clause H.1, then ranking shall be determined in the following order of precedence:
- By the total number of sets won
- By the total number of game points won
- By the total number of game points won minus the total number of game points won by the opponents
In the event a “tie” still exists following the above order of precedence, then ranking shall be determined though a draw (best of three draws).
J. Withdrawal of Entry
Once Team entry has been submitted and accepted by FTL-Q, the said entry is considered official and Team have accepted the Terms and Conditions and all its Policies and Rules and Regulations. Withdrawal of entry after the entry/lineup have been re-confirmed by the Team and validated by FTL-Q is prohibited. Any withdrawal of Team entries shall be dealt with applicable provisions of the Tournament Rules and Regulations and necessary disciplinary action as decided and imposed by FTL-Q/Tournament Committee.
K. General Reminder
- As per QTF Regulations, “SMOKING” is strictly prohibited within the Khalifa Tennis and Squash Complex.
- Each Team may bring their own refreshments. However, it is the responsibility of the TC’s & A/TC’s to ensure that proper housekeeping is observed and maintained with the surrounding clean and tidy at all times till all the matches completed.
- No banners or any form of promotion or advertisement to be displayed inside Khalifa Tennis Complex unless approved by FTL-Q.
- All Players shall wear proper uniforms or tennis attires acceptable and in conformance to QTF Regulations and FTL-Q during the match.
- Please refrain from using any of the vacant Courts at QTF not assigned to FTL-Q for warm-up, practice, or game during the FTL-Q Tournament Matches. QTF strictly prohibits such proscribed actions.